Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption: The Insurer will pay a benefit, up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Coverage and Services, if You are prevented from taking or continuing Your Trip due to the following Unforeseen events:
- Sickness, Accidental Injury, or death of You, Your Traveling Companion, or a Family Member or Business Partner of You or Your Traveling Companion which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of loss preventing Your continued participation in the Trip. A Physician must advise cancellation of the Trip on or before the Scheduled Departure Date.
- Strike that causes complete cessation of services for at least 24 consecutive hours.
- Weather which causes complete cessation of services of Your Common Carrier for at least 24 consecutive hours.
- You or Your Traveling Companion are terminated or laid off from employment subject to three years of continuous employment at the place of employment where terminated.
- You or Your Traveling Companion are hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury, subpoenaed or required to appear as a witness in a legal action, provided You or a Traveling Companion are not a party to the legal action or appearing as a law enforcement officer, the victim of felonious assault within 10 days of departure; or having Your principal place of residence made uninhabitable by fire, flood, or other Natural Disaster; or burglary of Your principal place of residence within 10 days of departure.
- Bankruptcy or Default of Your Travel Supplier which occurs more than 14 days following Your Effective Date. Coverage is not provided for the Bankruptcy or Default of the travel agent or Travel Supplier that solicited this protection plan and from whom You purchased Your Land/Sea Arrangements. Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default of an airline only if no alternate transportation is available. If alternate transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow You to transfer to another airline in order to get to Your intended destination. You must purchase Your plan within 14 days of Your initial Trip deposit.
- If within 30 days of Your departure, a politically motivated Terrorist Attack occurs within the territorial limits of the City listed on Your itinerary. The Terrorist Attack must occur after the Effective Date of Your Trip Cancellation coverage.
- You or Your Traveling Companion who are military personnel, and are called to emergency duty for a disaster other than war or are called to active military duty, have their leave revoked or are reassigned for reasons other than war.
- You or Your Traveling Companion being directly involved in a traffic Accident substantiated by a police report, while en route to departure.
- The death or hospitalization of Your Host at Destination.
- Natural Disaster at the site of Your destination which renders Your destination accommodations uninhabitable.
- Your normal pregnancy or attending the childbirth of Your Family Member. The pregnancy must occur after the Plan Effective Date and be verified by medical records.
- The primary or secondary school where You or Your Dependent Children attend must extend operating session beyond the predefined school year, due to Unforeseen events commencing during Your plan effective period and the travel dates for Your Trip fall within the period of the school year extension. Extensions due to extracurricular or athletic events are not covered.
- Mandatory evacuation ordered by local authorities at Your destination due to hurricane or other Natural Disaster. You must have 50% or less of Your Trip remaining at the time the mandatory evacuation ends, in order for this benefit to be payable.
Trip Cancellation (not applicable if $0 Trip cost displayed on Your Confirmation of Benefits):
Non-refundable cancellation charges imposed by Your Travel Supplier and/or airfare cancellation charges for flights joining or departing Your Land/Sea Arrangements; or the additional costs You may incur as a result of a change in the per-person occupancy rate of prepaid travel arrangements if a person booked to share accommodations with You cancels his/her Trip for a covered reason and You do not cancel. If Your Travel Supplier cancels Your Trip, You are covered up to the cost of the ticket or the reissue fee charged by the airline for the tickets. You must have covered the entire cost of the Trip including the airfare. If You purchase Sports Coverage the Insurer will pay up to the combined maximum limit shown on the Schedule of Coverage and Services for prepaid non-refundable ski passes, greens fees and sporting equipment rental.
All cancellations must be reported directly to the Travel Supplier within 72 hours of the event causing the need to cancel, unless the event prevents it, and then as soon as is reasonably possible. If the cancellation is not reported within the specified 72-hour period, the Insurer will not pay for additional charges which would not have been incurred had You notified the Travel Supplier in the specified period. If the event prevents You from reporting the cancellation, the 72-hour notice requirement does not apply; however, You must, if requested, provide proof that said event prevented You from reporting the cancellation within the specified period.